The Filterfan® allowed a higher degree of safety in the management of modern manufacturing processes. The first generation of filterfans was built in a metal housing and could either be mounted on the roof or on the side of the control cabinet. A filter cloth prevented dust particles from reaching the inside of the enclosure with the airflow.
The following 50 years resulted in continued development and experience being added to the ongoing Filterfan evolution as well as the entire line of Pfannenberg thermal management solutions, making them one of the few specialists able to provide a suitable device for almost any industrial requirement anywhere in the world.
2nd Generation – 1982:
- The 2nd generation Pfannenberg Filterfan® was made of a self-extinguishing plastic. Further innovations included: Installation and maintenance became significantly easier with this model. The hole pattern allowed for quick visual detection of a clogged filter mat while special air inlets prevented excessive dust build-up.
3rd Generation – 1990:
- The 3rd generation Pfannenberg Filterfan® saw another improvement in performance and efficiency. This was a precursor to today’s fin design. For the first time, a patented folding mechanism allowed for the replacement of two different sized filter mats, in just a matter of seconds.
4th Generation – 2018:
- The 4th Generation Pfannenberg Filterfan® 4.0TM, sets a new standard in Filterfan® design. With its modular structure, the 4.0 filter fan is particularly maintenance-friendly. The 4-corner fastening system allows them to be installed in the housing cut-outs without any tools. The generously sized seal is impossible to mislay and creates a secure connection to the housing of the electrical enclosure.
Compared to previous filterfans, the 4th generation was designed with a sleeker profile utilizing airflow-optimized patented fins, a folded filter mat and higher protection class improving the air-flow rate by 100%.
At the same time, the patented folded filter medium can absorb significantly more particles with increased surface area and lasts 3 times longer than conventional filter media thus extending the maintenance intervals.
UL Listed Certification
- The first true globally manufactured UL Listed Type 12 Filterfans®.
- Pfannenberg’s click mechanism has a unique patented 4-corner fastening system enabling safe and quick, tool-free installation allowing the filter medium to be replaced in seconds.
High Quality Fans
- German manufactured fans that exceed industry standards for quality, performance and service life.
- Pfannenberg’s filterfans are ERP compliant to meet European efficiency directives. Units also comply with additional national & international standards (TüV, NEMA, UL, CSA & EAC).
Filterfans – a cost-effective solution for thermal management
- Using filterfans for the thermal management of electrical enclosures is a particularly cost-effective solution. They consist essentially of a fan and a filter medium. Both are installed in an enclosed framework which is also used to attach the device to the electrical enclosure. Filterfans create high pressure in the enclosure with cool filtered outside air which escapes through an opening after it has absorbed the heat in the housing. Another filter, referred to as the exhaust filter, is fitted into this opening. The temperature of the exhaust air can optionally be recorded with a thermostat attached to the inner housing of the Pfannenberg filterfan. This allows the filterfan to switch on and off as determined by the cooling requirements which has a positive impact on the energy efficiency of the thermal management system. Depending on their size, arrangement and the surrounding conditions, filter fans can remove a great deal of dissipated heat from the housing and can be used anywhere where the ambient temperature is lower than the nominal temperature of the switching system.
Beckie is our Director of Ecommerce & Marketing, the team that is responsible for making sure your online experience is everything you hoped it would be… and more. Enjoy rewards programs, special discounts through our newsletters plus the support of our amazing customer service and technical teams.